After growing up in a boarding school in India (12 years during the 1970s), Craig returned to the United States, where he attended several colleges, got married, had three sons (Lee, Alex and Spenser), became a teacher, built a house, and coached a lot of soccer.
The Johnsons then moved to Brazil for 15 years, where Craig was the High School principal of Graded School and the Headmaster of the American School of Brasilia. And coached a lot of soccer.
Craig has one published novel: Wave Watcher, and is currently writing a second one titled: From the Table of my Memory.
Lisa and Craig now share their home in Mumbai, India, with sons Alex and Spenser (Lee lives in the US) where Craig is currently the Superintendent of the American School of Bombay. And is coaching a lot of soccer. Craig and Lisa have a balcony over-looking the Arabian Sea and a dog named Nella–Nella means blue in Hindi, they named her before her eyes changed to green.
- Ongoing Post Graduate work in Leadership; School Finance; and School Reform
- 1998 Fort Hays State University, KS: MA in Secondary School Administration
- 1995 Fort Hays State University, KS: MA in Secondary Education
- 1990 Fort Hays State University, KS: BA in History & English
CURRENT GOVERNANCE & BOARD MEMBERSHIPS:
- Near-East-South-Asia Council of Overseas Schools, Athens, Greece
- Avasara Leadership Academy, Pune, India
- India School Leadership Institute, Delhi, India
- Save the Children Institute NGO in Mumbai, India
- Kohinoor American School, Khandala, India
- Mercedes Benz International School, Pune, India.
- Rotary Club, Mumbai, India
LEADERSHIP & ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE:
- 2010-Present Superintendent of the American School of Bombay, Mumbai, India. Manages an annual budget of $30,000,000. Supervises grant and contract expenditures; oversees construction projects; leads community-wide strategic planning; directs marketing, communications, fundraising, community outreach, and aggressive networking.
- 2014-Present Co-Founder of the Global Leadership Collaborative, Denver, Colorado. Leverages the power of a collective of International Schools in the area of Teacher Recruitment, Accreditation, Professional Development, and all things related to the restructuring of schools for today and the future.
- 2013-Present Co-Founder and President of Football Only, Denver, Colorado. A Not-for-Profit organization that promotes all things related to the development of football (soccer) players and coaches.
- 2006-2010 Headmaster of the American School of Brasilia, Brazil. K-12 private school with 600 students from over 50 countries, and a faculty/staff of 150.
- 2001-2006 High School Principal of Escola Graduada de Sao Paulo (the Graded School), Brazil with 500 High School students and 52 faculty members.
- 1999-2001 Dean of Students & Activities Director of Escola Graduada de Sao Paulo, Brazil with 800 students.
TEACHING EXPERIENCE: 2010-Present
- Adjunct Professor at University of Northern Iowa: Educational Leadership
- Chief Strategy Consultant for Teach for India
- Consultant on Special Assignment for the Performance of Coaches to Kids-Out-of-Home Sports Company.
- Instructor at American School of Bombay for Leadership Theory and Practicum: American School of Bombay, India.
- IB English: Escola Graduada de Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Nominee: Superintendent of the Year as recognized by the AAIE Association for the Advancement of International Education
- Winner: Outstanding International High School Teacher: University of California, San Diego Teacher Recognition Program
- Winner: Kansas High School Soccer Coach of The Year: Kansas State Athletic Association
- Winner: Teacher of The Year from USD 418 School District, KS, USA (Twice)
- Finalist: First-Year Teacher Award for the Sallie Mae National Teacher Awards
- Past Board Member of the Association of American Schools in South American
- Past Board Member of the Association of American School in Brazil
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Mortar Board
- Phi Alpha Theta (National Organization of Historians)
- Society of Collegiate and Amateur Journalists
- Transition and Change
- School Culture
- Peer Coaching
- Institutional Legacy
- Board Governance
- Published author of Wave Watcher, and The Table of my Memory.
- Blogger at: http://craigalanjohnson.edublogs.org/
- American School of Bombay’s Annual Research and Development Publication
- Published in: 2013
- Future Forwards Volume I: Shoulders of Giants: Leading Innovation
- Published in: 2014
- Future Forwards Volume II: Educational Malpractice
- Published in: 2015
- Future Forwards Volume III: A Fine Balance—Relevance In a Global Educational Ecosystem