Tragedy in Newton

Originally published on December 16, 2012

“Why?” That’s what our children are asking us today. Why did a 20 year-old boy walk into a peaceful elementary school, in Newtown Connecticut, and kill 30 people? According to Renee Burns, a teacher in Newtown, “Stuff like this doesn’t happen in Newtown.” But Ms. Burns is wrong. Obviously “stuff like that” does happen… it just did.

One of ASB’s core values asks us to “embrace our interdependence,” because we believe “embracing” it is “vital for a community to flourish.” Today’s community that needs to be embraced is the one made up of every school on earth, and the global community of children and parents.

What happened in Newtown must be felt, in some way, in every school, it’s our responsibility. Something different must now be exchanged between every teacher and their colleagues. And there needs to be something “new” born in the relationship parents have with their children. Newtown is where tragedy struck, but Newtown is neither disconnected nor alone. Neither is Mumbai. ASB is not an island removed and insulated from what happens in the “Newtowns of the world.” Sandy Hook Elementary School is connected to us; we are extensions of each other. What happened at Sandy Hook impacts us, it has to. So, now what?

If you are reading my post it means you are a member of a community highly committed to inspiring our children to continuous inquiry. We want our children, in their own way and when they are ready, to ask us: Why do things like this happen? And parents and teachers must find good and strong ways to engage these tragic and horrifying questions. Their inquiry must result in them growing up courageous and optimistic. We don’t want them to build higher security walls or more sensitive metal detectors. We don’t want them to run away and hide. We want them to craft dreams of a better world; we want their education to give them the skills to realize these dreams. And, of course, we dream that their dreams will enhance the lives of others.

We don’t want them to be afraid and full of dread. We want them to be thoughtful and grateful. We want them to realize how blessed and fortunate they are to be our children, to be safe, to be happy, and to be healthy. We want them to appreciate the gift of life, and realize that today, actually every day, is a good day.

I spent several hours this morning watching the news about Newtown. And then, right before I sat down to write this note, I went back and watched a video a friend sent me last week. I suppose, in a profound way, this video attempts to answer those questions that always emerge from tragedies such as what happened at Sandy Hook. My thought today is this: when you have six minutes, sit down with your children and watch this video together. I think it might be one way for us to begin to prepare for tomorrow. 

For as sad as I am today, after watching this video I must admit that I am looking forward to seeing the future.

Bookmark the permalink.